Professional Service & Participation
Service to the University
MU Library Committee – 2017 to 202. In this role, I make recommendations to the provost concerning the continued improvement of the library collection and library services, and academic matters related to library policies and programs.
MU Faculty Committee on NTT Promotion – 2017 to present. In this role, I represent non-tenure track faculty viewpoint in developing promotion guidelines. Non-tenure track faculty serve the University in ways that are unique and differ widely from the contributions of their tenure-track colleagues. I communicate the strengths of NTT faculty to university administration and help develop policies that are fair and equitable.
SHP Dean’s Advisory Committee – 2016 to present
SHP Mentoring Task Force – 2016 to present
MU Faculty Council on Research Cyberinfrastructure – 2012 to 2017. I represented the School of Health Professions on this committee to determine the technology needs for research support across campus. I was selected for this committee because of my participation in research projects in conjunction with the Informatics Institute.
MU Faculty Advisory Committee on Intellectual Property – 2010 to present. I represent the School of Health Professions on this committee to support increases in commercial applications. I act as a liaison between SHP inventors/developers and the Office of Technology Management and Industry Relations. I was selected for this committee because of the system development project I undertook as part of my Ph.D. program.
Educational Liaison Selection Committee – As a member of the selection committee, I reviewed applications for the SHP instructional designer in the Fall of 2010. I participated in interviews and helped form the recommendation for the selected candidate. My background in instructional design helped me to provide thorough feedback regarding candidates who would best address the learning needs of SHP students, and was one of the primary reasons I was asked to serve on this committee.
SHP Clinical, Teaching and Research Promotion Committee – 2011 to 2014. In this role, I reviewed promotion dossiers, made recommendations regarding promotion and wrote letters detailing the outcome of the committee’s decisions. Service on this committee has helped me develop an appreciation for the promotion and tenure process and an understanding of the importance of building strengths across the mission of the University.
SHP Research Committee – 2006 to 2011. I have served as Chair in 2006-2007 and 2009-2010. As a member of the Research Committee, I have facilitated the revision of selection guidelines, prepared calls for proposals, and reviewed applications for Student Mentorship Awards, Research and Scholarly Activity Catalyst Awards. As the applications were reviewed, I took the opportunity to make note of the suggestions for improvement and, with the approval of the committee, shared those recommendations with the applicants. In this way, I was able to facilitate learning for those applicants. I have also taught more formally in this service, presenting a seminar on “Encouraging Scholarly Activity” in April 2007. Service on this committee stimulated my interest in pursuing my Ph.D.
Professional Memberships and Service
Missouri Society of Radiologic Technologists 1999 to present
- President-elect, 2017-2018
- Conference Coordinator 2003 -2004, & 2015-present
- Conference Co-Coordinator 2002, 2014-2015
- Vice President and Student Scholarship Chair for 2013-2014
- Served as the Third District representative to the Board of Directors 1999-2002.
- Organized and presented Third District continuing education activities.
- Served as Student Activities and Ways and Means Chairs, 2004-2006.
- Served on Legislative Activities and 75th Anniversary committees, 2005-2006.
- Presented educational lectures in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2010, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
American Society of Radiologic Technologists 1999 to present
- Participated in numerous surveys and research regarding education in radiologic technology.
- Completed continuing education activities.
Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T) 2012 to present
- Reviewer of poster submissions for the 2012 Annual Conference
American Educational Research Association (AERA) 2012 to present
- Attended 2017 Conference
- Presented a conference paper “Deeper Learning Through Conflict Resolution or Stubborn Resistance to Change?“
American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) 2012 to 2015
- Attended 2012 Conference
- Presented a poster “Knowledge Discovery System for Research Hypothesis Generation from Serendipitous Findings: A Feasibility Study”
- Reviewer, Computers in Human Behavior, reviewed article on Problem-Based Learning, September, 2017.
- Reviewer, Journal of Medical Radiation Sciences, reviewed article on radiographer reporting, July, 2017.
- Contracted item writer, radiologic technologists test preparation product, Dynamic Wordworks, Inc., April – May 2012.
- Contributor and Peer Reviewer, radiologic technologists test preparation product, Dynamic Wordworks, Inc., Fall 2011.
- Reviewer, Johnston, J., Fauber, T. (2012). Essentials of radiographic physics and imaging. (1st ed.). St. Louis: Mosby, Inc.
- Reviewer, Essentials of Imaging Sciences, Elsevier, 2008.
- Consultant/contributor, Diagnostic Tests Made Incredibly Easy, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2007.
- Reviewer, Radiography Flash Cards, Thomson Delmar Learning, 2006.
- Reviewer, Radiographic Positioning & Procedures A Comprehensive Approach, Thomson Delmar Learning, 2005
Professional Development Activities
- SHP Research Retreat. 03/15 & 16/2012. Participated in the development of a research agenda for the School of Health Professions.
- Pizza and Projects – Mizzou Advantage event. 03/01/2012. Assisted in the presentation of MU’s interdisciplinary approach to becoming a leader in the opportunistic discovery of information.
- International Workshop on Opportunistic Discovery of Information. 10/21-22/2010. An international workshop on how people encounter and use information. Attended and presented two posters.
- Campus Technology 2010, 7/19-22/2010. National conference on learning technology. Attended and presented a conference session on electronic management of student clinical records.
- Celebration of Teaching Excellence, 5/18-19/2010, Campus-wide workshop on teaching and learning, University of Missouri.
- Focus on Teaching and Technology, 10/15-16/2009, Regional Conference and pre-conference workshops, University of Missouri-St. Louis.
- IE Lab Usability Training, 07/23-24/2009, Information Experience Laboratory, University of Missouri.
- 77th Annual Conference, 04/18—20/2009, Missouri Society of Radiologic Technologists’ Annual Conference, Lake Ozark, MO.
- 76th Annual Conference, 04/16—18/2008, Missouri Society of Radiologic Technologists’ Annual Conference, Lake Ozark, MO.
- Accreditation Seminar and Outcomes Assessment Workshop, 08/16-18/2007, Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology Seminar, Chicago, IL
- Campus Writing Program Faculty Workshop, 08/14-15/2007, University of Missouri
- 12th Annual Midwest Regional Nursing Educators Conference, 11/17/2006, Nursing Outreach and Distance Education, University of Missouri